Hiffman Releases First Quarter 2023 Office Market Report
NAI Hiffman is pleased to present the First Quarter 2023 Office Market Report, in-depth looks at statistics for the Chicago metropolitan office real estate markets.
Uncertainty Continues to Impact Suburban & CBD Office Markets
Chicago’s suburban office market faced significant headwinds to start off 2023, as rising interest rates and continued economic uncertainty largely paused major real estate decisions.
- While four of the five suburban Chicago office submarkets reported positive absorption, overall absorption for the suburbs was slightly negative at -10,749 square feet.
- Despite strong leasing velocity, vacancy continues to hover around 25%, where it has remained since 2021.
- As corporate leaders continue to evaluate their office footprint in the wake of the pandemic, growth among existing tenants in the market has stagnated, though the market has shown some signs of moderation heading further into 2023.
- Chicago’s CBD downsized during the fourth quarter, with 1,309,335 square feet of negative net absorption, exacerbating the market’s woes.
- The downtown market registered 1.4 million square feet of new leasing activity during the fourth quarter, down from 1.9 million square feet year over year, and below the pandemic average of 1.8 million square feet since the start of 2020.